HOF Relay Recap

This is super late. But better late than never, right?


I have to admit that I was a bit nervous running the Hall of Fame Marathon relay because I haven’t run more than 2 miles since my knee surgery in December. I had no issues walking for longer periods of time but I was still a bit nervous about running more than that. For someone who has run 2 marathons and many half marathons, I never thought I’d be so nervous to run 4.2 miles!
It was great to meet up with my fellow relay teammates Dawn and Melissa at the Expo and pick up the packets and shirts. We all received Ohio Outside matching shirts which made finding each other super easy! I arrived at the race the next morning earlier than I originally was going to. I was planning on getting to the race a bit later to avoid the traffic since I was the third leg, but I ended up waking up early and decided that watching the start would be fun. I live about a half hour from Canton so I left at 6. The traffic to get into the parking was terrible, but I can’t imagine having to be at the start at 7 and sitting in that traffic! I was lucky that my leg was starting a bit later so I had some wiggle room. I ended up getting into the parking lot eventually and took the bus to the start line.
I briefly saw our first runner, Melissa as she walked past me to start off our relay! I watched the start and then walked to where my leg started. It was fun watching the leaders run past and I also saw some running friends as well! I liked how they had someone announcing the bib numbers so it was easy to find Susannah when she ran up! It also helped we had those Ohio Outside shirts to look out for as well 🙂
I started off my leg and was sort of preoccupied with getting our bib back on the belt. It fell off at some point and I eventually gave up and just stuffed it inside the belt so it wouldn’t fall off. I was feeling pretty good and ran my first mile in 10:15. My leg was a bit hilly and had a few uphills and I had no issues for my second mile, either. Unfortunately, soon after I started my third mile my knee started hurting. I was wearing a brace so I was hoping that would help but it didn’t seem to be. I took a walk break and also used this opportunity to get the bib back on the belt. I continued my walk/jog pattern for the rest of my leg because I didn’t want to risk hurting my knee. The really awesome thing is I had someone to talk to while I was doing my walk/jog. She flew in from Colorado to run the race (and to visit friends) and it was nice to have a friend briefly while I was so upset about my stupid knee.  
I was a bit disappointed because I know I have the ability to run 4 miles at a decent pace. I didn’t run in the time I was expecting, but I know that letting my knee heal is the most important thing. I don’t want to risk not being able to run in the future! It was nice to round the corner at the end and see Dawn to hand the belt off to. I met Mark and David after I was done and headed to get my goodies. I loved how HOF Marathon has the medals and blankets ready right after you’re done with your leg! And they had water which was amazing after running in the heat. 
I’m so happy I was able to participate in this race. This would definitely be a race I would run the half for in the future. It’s not a gigantic race and I liked running through Canton. It was great to be a part of the Ohio Outside team! I’m happy to say that I finished my leg after 2 years of DNFing and DNSing several races due to my knee injury. While it wasn’t the time I was hoping for, I know that my knee will heal soon enough and I’ll be back out there 🙂